Abakkus is an Alpha Focussed Asset Manager. Abakkus Emerging Opportunities Fund – 1 is benchmark agnostic diversified portfolio comprising of 30-40 companies with bias towards mid and small cap.
• Abakkus Emerging Portfolio comes with 2 structures i.e PMS and AIF. Both follow benchmark agnostic diversified portfolio approach with bias towards mid and small caps.
• Abakkus Emerging Opportunities Fund- I Category III AIF follows a 15:15:15 discipline whereby Abakkus Emerging PMS and AIF invests predominantly in companies qualifying at least 2 out of following 3 criteria :
>15% earnings growth
<15 P/E Ratio
• Abakkus PMS and AIF products like 2nd or 3rd player within a sector, available at a significant discount to the leader.
• Abakkus PMS and AIF products like fundamentals based ideas picked via a bottom up approach.
• Abakkus PMS and AIF products endeavour to generate alpha and wealth creation by investing with typically 3 to 5 years of holding period.
• Abakkus PMS and AIF follows “MEETS” Framework which stands for Management, Earnings, Events/Trend, and Timings.
• Check the quality, capability, and track record of the management of the investee companies
• Analyse the Capital Expenditure. Keep an eye if the ROE is maintained or enhanced.
• Check for decisional errors; whether the management makes business errors or avoidable mishaps.
• Deep dive into financials – check for quality of earnings v/s reported numbers
• Constantly analyse the Actual Earnings v/s the Expected Earnings AND the Cyclical Earnings v/s the Structural Earnings
• Generally look to invest in companies which have the potential to double profits in 4 years or less or where EV/EBITDA can halve in four years
Events / Trends
• Monitor stock price movements because of evolving market trends
• Unlock disruptive themes & events on the horizon
• Keep a tab on price discounting
• Monitor the time frame of investment, in accordance with the Mean Reversion
• Understand the competitive positioning & the MOAT of the business
• Evaluate the size of the opportunity
• Consistent growth in profits
Growth in Value
• Abakkus Asset Manager follows the ‘approach of growth in value investing’, which means, identifying those companies which are value picks in terms of its stock price versus its business earnings. Companies with traits & more potential for growth in sales, market share and earnings.
• Abakkus Asset Manager believes that such companies have not only margin of safety because of the low investable price but also, a high scope of stock getting re-rated as the growth story becomes more visible to the market.
• Following Abakkus’ philosophy of finding growth in value may sound simple, but it is not easy and very few companies are able to do it well. Most get stuck in value and which over time becomes a deep value as if growth doesn’t follow.
• Abakkus Emerging PMS and AIF products objectively invest in growth companies at lower price. These are those companies where profitability is expected to grow higher than the market average and, fundamentally companies share is underpriced.
• Abakkus Asset Manager follows Buy & Hold. This means, investment team at Abakkus Invests in company’s stock/share, as if investing in the business like a partner and not like a share trader.
• Abakkus Emerging PMS / AIF invests in small & mid companies with a scalable business models. This means businesses with strong growth potential of becoming larger companies where by small cap becomes mid cap and mid cap becomes a large cap over time.
• Abakkus Asset Manager follows a Bottom-up research. This means, selecting portfolio companies with a focus on profit & loss statements, balance sheet, cash flow statements, and valuations.
• Abakkus prefers to be a contrarian: Investing in companies, where other investors still do not have high conviction. Based on knowledge of companies growth potential, once convinced, Abakkus doesn’t hesitate investing early, as a first investor or as an only investor.
Avoid 4 Cs
• Chase Momentum
• Churn Unnecessarily
• Copy & Mimic
• Credit Risk – Fractured Balance Sheet
• Exit if fundamentals don’t pan out as expected due to sector deterioration, company specific issues, governance issues
• Not shy to accept when thesis goes wrong
• Exit if position becomes insignificant and can’t / don’t want to add
• Exit if a new investment idea stems up which is better than existing business(es) in terms of risk reward
• In 2023, Abakkus Asset Manager Growth Fund-I, a Long Only Cat III AIF, was awarded Rank #2 in the Best Long Only Cat III AIF, on 3Y Risk-Adjusted Returns. These Awards were hosted by PMS AIF WORLD, in association with IIM-Ahmedabad.
• In 2023, Abakkus Asset Manager’s Emerging Opportunities Fund-I, a Long Only Cat III AIF, was awarded Rank #1 in the Best Long Only Cat III AIF, on 3Y Risk-Adjusted Returns. These Awards were hosted by PMS AIF WORLD, in association with IIM-Ahmedabad.
• In 2022, Abakkus Asset Manager Growth Fund-I, a Long Only Cat III AIF, was awarded Rank #2 in the Best Long Only Cat III AIF, on 3Y Risk-Adjusted Returns. These Awards were hosted by PMS AIF WORLD, in association with IIM-Ahmedabad.
• In 2021, Abakkus Asset Manager’s Emerging Opportunities Fund, a Long Only Cat III AIF, was awarded the winner in the Best Long Only Cat III AIF, on 1Y Absolute Returns. These Awards were hosted by PMS AIF WORLD, in association with IIM-Ahmedabad.
• Mr. Sunil Singhania has been revered as the amongst the Best Fund manager by Outlook Business in 2016 and 2017 over a 10-year time span.
• Reliance Growth Fund, a midcap oriented fund directly managed by Mr. Sunil has unique distinction of having grown over 100 times in 21 years. Also, the first fund in India to have a NAV of Rs. 1,000+.
Already a member? Login Now